Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Reviewed by: Marc Wells

Score: 9/10

Recommendation: Full Price In-Theater Tickets

Summary: A gritty look at a well known galaxy far, far away torn by the terror of galactic war.

Review: I know, I'm a couple of months late. But honestly, if you still haven't seen this movie, it's fully worth it. Like I stated in the summary, this movie is a gritty look at the Star Wars universe through the eyes of those who fought on the front-lines of that war. When this movie was being made, they decided to call it "A Star Wars Story" because the Star Wars movies have always revolved around the Skywalker line. Since this film does not revolve around the Skywalkers as main characters, but rather around the soldiers that made it possible for the Skywalker children to succeed, it became its own category, "A Star Wars Story."

Rogue One has many pros, but several cons. I'm starting with the cons because I prefer ending on a good note (especially with Star Wars). The most glaring problem with the movie for me was that they tried too hard to have too many unique and quirky characters. I ended up remembering probably 3 characters' names (the ones that the story follows) and one droid. The rest are all nameless fighters of the rebellion. Well, actually they do HAVE names, and they said them once in the movie, but you don't know them unless you are a die hard fan like myself (in case you're wondering, the names are Jyn, Cassian, K2-SO, Chirrut, Baze, and Bodhi). But if I didn't read all the hype, I wouldn't have known their names, which is a big problem. In the original Star Wars, you focused on Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, Chewie, and Leia. Those were the characters, and you spent significant time with each. To that point, I have to say that less is more, and you don't need a ton of characters to fill a movie roster. That's probably my biggest complaint with Rogue One. My second complaint is nit-picky, but there were some CGI characters that were supposed to represent characters from other movies. They looked REALLY good, but I couldn't help feeling like I was watching a video game. Again, they looked amazing, but it just felt slightly off, and looked like a really well produced video game cutscene.

The pros are as follows: STAR WARS. It was a Star Wars movie with everything that traditional star wars has. It was exciting with its fair share of fun. It was also thought provoking and inspiring. The characters that you actually got to know were great (especially the droid K2-SO) and well developed. The story was cohesive and well told, with chemistry between the actors. It also showed a more gritty side of the war. The side that got things done despite the consequences. It shows the reality of rebellions and spies, and it shocked me a little at first, but then I realized that's how the war actually would be. It was interesting to see a story told about the darker parts of the war with them Empire.

Overall, this was a really well-made movie with stunning visuals and fun characters. It had a cohesive story and strong acting, especially from Felicity Jones and Alan Tudyk, and cleared up questions that Star Wars fans have had for since A New Hope was in theaters. It's a fun watch, and definitely worth the money to see in theaters. It's up there with the original trilogy in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Man you remembered waaaaaay more names than I was able to remember after I left the movie... Actually I just read your review and I don't remember any except for Jyn and Cassian... The rest sound like names from dwarves in The Hobbit

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps that I play Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes :)

    ReplyDelete